Your Right – Environmental Protection by the Law
Project contributes to the strengthening of rule of law and environmental protection in Serbia through application and promotion of available legal instruments which guarantee right to healthy and safeguarded environment, rights to access to information, public participation and access to justice.
- Why? State of environment in Serbia is, in general, is on a very concerning level. Available data shows an alarming scale of over-polluted air in some of Serbia’s largest cities and almost 2.5 million of citizens are exposed to over-polluted air. Application of adopted EU environmental standards and law enforcement is on unsatisfied level.
- How? Renewables and Environmental Regulatory Institute will utilize strategic litigation and monitoring of procedures conducted by relevant public authorities in order to: improve law enforcement related to environmental protection; foster good governance and increase transparency and accountability of pubic authorities; and enable enjoyment of human and citizens’ rights related to environment.
- Monitoring of environmental impact assessment procedures and boosting public participation in environmental decision making;
- Monitoring of air protection policy on central and local level;
- Preparation and conduction of strategic environmental litigations and administrative procedures;
- Providing support and legal advising to activists, civil society organizations and citizens in cases when access to justice or legal remedies are limited.
The project is being realized from April 1st until October 31st 2019, supported by the Heinrich Böll Stiftung, Belgrade office.